Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Book Review: The Warded Man (Demon Cycle #1) by Peter V Brett

I am a huge lover of the fantasy genre and I get so excited when I discover a great new series. 

Now I did my research before diving into this book and while the concept certainly isn't all that original, I decided to give it a go anyway. (It reminded me of Terry Brooks' Shannara series but that's just my opinion).

As darkness falls, demon corelings rise — multitudes and giants, from fire, wood, and rock, hungry for human flesh. After centuries, humans dwindle, protective wards forgotten. Three young survivors of demon attacks, Arlen, Leesha, and Rojer, dare to fight back.

This is the first book in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett. The novel follows the lives of three main characters and their respective struggles in a world where demons rule and humans are the lesser species. The magic system, known as 'warding', is all that protects the last vestiges of humanity from the horrors of the night.

The book is very well written and the story flows well despite the constant shifting between characters. With the perfect mix of action, loss and romance, I was thoroughly engrossed and found it difficult to put down - the sure sign of a good read.

I found the author's writing style to be very concise while still painting a vivid picture. The characters are believable and with all the back story we're really able to understand how certain events shape them into the heroes that they become, making them all the more likable.

The book ticked all the right boxes for me and I can't wait to dive into the second book in the series.

Rating: 4/5
Note: I was not paid to write this review. 
I just love books/reading and want to share my passion with you. 


The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle #2)
The Daylight War (Demon Cycle #3)

1 comment:

Rebecca Scaglione said...

Interesting review! Thanks for sharing on the Spread the Love Linky Party! I've also pinned this :D